BASIC TECHNOLOGY JSS2 Third term
Sub-Theme: Tools, machines and processes
Students should be able to:
- State the functions of lubricants in gear
A lubricant is any substance (e.g. grease or oil) interposed or placed between two parts moving relative to one another in order to form a film between the two surfaces that do not rub directly together. This prevents the engine from excessive heat and reduces wear.
Qualities of a good lubricant
- It must wet every surface needing lubrication
- It must have the ability to resist flow (viscosity)
- Must not evaporate excessively in use
- Must not be injurious to other substances it might come in contact with.
Subscribe now to gain full access to this lesson noteTake Me There
Click here to gain access to the full notes.